Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Ever wonder how I got my name?

You probably thought mom and dad came up with it all on their own since they are so cool. Not true. Garrett Matthew Meeks has much relevance with both of their families. Garrett is my GA grandmother's maiden name and what my late great-grandfather was called by his friends. Mom and pops thought this would be a good way to keep the name in the family and honor "Pop" Garrett at the same time. Plus, BabyNames.com gives the meaning of Garrett as "Spear Ruler"....nice, huh? Matthew came about because it is my MI grandfather's middle name and his father's as well. The Meeks part is pretty self-explanatory...

So this week, some Garretts from Georgia made the trip up to meet me for the first time. My great-grandmother, Mamay Garrett, and her son and other daughter (GA grandmother's twin), Ben and Nette...which would be great-uncle and great-aunt, respectively. I'm going to need a flow chart to keep all these people straight. I am Mamay's first great-grandchild, so she was pretty excited to say the least.


As you can tell, I was pretty excited myself. Dad told me about all the goodies she makes in the kitchen; chicken & dumplings, sausage balls and pinwheels, pound cake, etc...so I thought I would do some kissing up. It couldn't hurt, right?

Here are some pictures from dinner at MI grandparents' house.

Mom and dad busted out the UGA attire for the occasion.

Yes, I'm looking at the Bud Light. I know I've got to wait a few more months...

Ben and I admire the ceiling fan. It doesn't take much.

I'm pretty sure they enjoyed their trip as Mamay offered dad a chicken & dumplings pie in exchange for taking me with her. He thought about it for a minute or two, but then declined.

No comments: